With our newly elected board, we are off to a great start. I am honored to be re-elected as your President and am excited about serving you for another year. I want to thank those Board members who are stepping down for your hard work and contributions to the Association and the community. Your presence on the board will be missed, but we hope you will remain involved!
This past year was a busy one with several accomplishments including:
- The City crafted a Pilot Parking Program for King William and Lavaca. We are assisting the City in gathering the necessary signatures to implement the program. Many thanks to Rose Kanusky for leading this project with hard work and dedication. Resolving our parking issues have been a challenge for all concerned.
- The City’s TIRZ (Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone) program approved the reimbursement of up to $160,000 for pedestrian lights, and the City is investing another $1,000,000 in street and sidewalk improvements for S. Alamo Street.
- The KWA received two grants from the Texas Commission on the Arts: for wayfinding signs and for the publication of the updated The King William Area: A History and Guide to the Houses, originally published in 1973 by Mary Burkholder. Jesse Simpson and her committee lovingly updated the book and expanded the content.
- Our board has continued to advocate for historic preservation, tree preservation and to support the City oversight in regulating short-term rentals.
- We celebrated our 50th Anniversary through banners, promotional products and a celebration event in King William Park.
- Our finance committee has carefully watched over our investments, earning roughly 12% interest.
- We established the King William Foundation as a support organization to comply with TABC rules for the King William Fair.
- Finally, the KWA created a walking tour brochure for the Nathan Historic District, San Antonio’s newest historic district, an area defined by Guenther, S. Main Avenue, S. Alamo and S. Flores Streets.
We will continue these and other efforts in the coming year. I welcome the newly-elected board members and look forward to working closely with them to plan for new challenges and opportunities.